[Clips] EFF: AT&T forwards all Internet traffic into NSA

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Fri Apr 7 17:10:52 PDT 2006

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, coderman wrote:

> On 4/7/06, R. A. Hettinga <rah at shipwright.com> wrote:
> >   "The evidence that we are filing supports our claim that AT&T is diverting
> >   Internet traffic into the hands of the NSA wholesale, in violation of
> >   federal wiretapping laws and the Fourth Amendment," said EFF Staff Attorney
> >   Kevin Bankston.
> >
> >   "More than just threatening individuals' privacy, AT&T's apparent choice to
> >   give the government secret, direct access to millions of ordinary
> >   Americans' Internet communications is a threat to the Constitution itself.
> >   We are asking the Court to put a stop to it now," said Bankston.
>
> i'm interested to see the monetary incentives behind this
> collaboration.  when your competitors (and every other tier-3) are
> getting infrastructure investment and subsidy it is hard not to follow
> suit despite ethical qualms (if any of these carriers actually had
> ethical concerns before diverting traffic wholesale to the NSA).

When the NSA (via the FBI) first asked everyone to participate in these
games (early 2002), I had the happy privilege of telling the FBI flunky
personally that they could go to hell (at Savvis - warning, then was then,
and NOT now: things have likely changed with Koen running the show now).

At the time, the only incentive was "Helping your country" <barf> - if
they have added financial incentives, I'd love to know how these monies
could be delivered without being disclosed by the telcos.

--
Yours,

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin at mfn.org
0xBD4A95BF

'The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments
it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest
limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of
the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext
whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the
brink of destruction.'

St. George Tucker