[mnl at well.com: [Geowanking] cisco wi-fi geosurveillance tech]

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Nov 12 08:54:10 PST 2005

On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 11:40:20AM -0500, Tyler Durden wrote:

> Eh. It's Cisco. Shouldn't be too hard to write an app that will lie to this
> network about where you are.

The cell is local, and if the cell knows who you are (unless authenticated,
admittedly a rather large if) the only way to hide would be to not
go online in the first place.

> And then, of course, I'm not yet convinced it's impossible to lie (through
> layers 6 and 7) to such a network, even built of impervious software.

Anonymizing traffic remixers are good, but they won't hide the
fact that you're using them via a WiFi cloud owned by Mallory.

> And of course, the moment some other company builds a different and
> overlapping network, all bets are off.

Wireless and line of sight laser has good potential for novel networking
using vacuum as bit FIFO. This can be global, or at least have large
coverage with very little but strategically placed (LEO, preferrably)
infrastructure.