Golden Triangle Drug Traffic Arbitrage?

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 23 07:27:27 PST 2005

Hey...had an interesting idea I've been discussing.

Actually, no way it's crypto but it's certainly markets/anarchy, so read on
if you wish.

I'm thinking that that Drug Trafficking in the Golden Triangle might
actually be a form of arbitrage.

Let me explain...

China pegs it's currency to US currency. With the dropping dollar, this
means that there's going to be a larger and larger gap between 'reality' (as
measured in the true cost of goods in a free market) and the pegged rate.

On Cypherpunks do I need to explain the idea that this difference will
inevitably give rise to a big black market to exploit that difference? (I
had a hard time explaining this to some younger Wall Street folks here.)

An interesting though I had last night was that the Drug trade in the Golden
Triangle (Burma, China, Thailand, etc...) might exist for precisely this
reason...in other words, as a form of arbitrage of sorts between the actual
local cost of goods and services and manpower and exchange rates of the US
dollar. Heroin is an ideal medium for arbitrage, as it's price is almost a
pure function of supply and demand (as opposed to cost of material). It can
fluctuate with the currency markets and as a result forms  a sort of 'common
denominator' for translating local wealth back into international, 'real'
wealth.

In other words, the drug trade is a direct result of government intervention
in the currency markets.

Of course, if May were here (may his soul roast in the hell of lesser lists)
he'd say this was 'obvious'...

Is it?

-TD

-TD