Looking for crypto iButton specs

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Mon Jul 11 05:56:35 PDT 2005

During a recent discussion about secure crypto device bootstrap and
attestation capabilities, I realised that of the three devices for which this
was implemented and for which documentation was available (Fortezza, IBM 4758,
and Dallas Crypto iButton), I either don't have any documentation for the
Crypto iButton or I've filed it under something sufficiently misleading that I
can't find it any more.  So:

Does anyone still have the documentation for the DS1954 Crypto iButton?  Note
that I specifically mean the DS1954 Crypto iButton before its Javafuxation,
which removed the very nice crypto security model and crypto transaction
processing/scripting capability.  Dallas systematically excised any traces of
the pre-Javafuxated version from databooks and web pages, so it'd be a case of
someone having a copy archived somewhere.  It was a very nice design and I'd
like to have some record of it outside the summary I put in my Godzilla
security tutorial.

(If whoever did the design is reading this, I'd be interested in hearing from
them as well).

Peter.