Foreign Travelers Face Fingerprints and Jet Lag

Steve Furlong sfurlong at acmenet.net
Sun Oct 3 07:22:53 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-03 at 05:18, Peter Gutmann wrote:

> The US now has the dubious distinction of being more obnoxious to get through
> the borders than the former East Germany (actually even without this measure,
> the checks had become at least as obnoxious as the East German ones).  I
> wonder whether the next step will be building a wall...

Reign in the overheated rhetoric. The East German state built their wall
to keep the East Germans from leaving, while the US policies are meant
to keep out a demonstrated threat.

Now, we can productively discuss the effectiveness of the US
government's actions (ie, not very damn effective), but that's a
different topic.