Foreign Travelers Face Fingerprints and Jet Lag

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sun Oct 3 07:59:57 PDT 2004

Steve Furlong <sfurlong at acmenet.net> writes:
>On Sun, 2004-10-03 at 05:18, Peter Gutmann wrote:
>>The US now has the dubious distinction of being more obnoxious to get through
>>the borders than the former East Germany (actually even without this measure,
>>the checks had become at least as obnoxious as the East German ones).  I
>>wonder whether the next step will be building a wall...
>
>Reign in the overheated rhetoric. The East German state built their wall to
>keep the East Germans from leaving, while the US policies are meant to keep
>out a demonstrated threat.

I never made any comment about who's keeping what in or out (the wall was
officially an anti-fascist protection barrier, also meant to keep out a
demonstrated threat).  What I was pointing out was that having been through
both East German and US border controls, the US ones were more obnoxious.

Peter.