Fallujah: Marine Eye-Witness Report

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Wed Nov 24 20:02:51 PST 2004

    --
James A. Donald
> > And the problem with a civil war in Iraq is?

John Kelsey
> At least three:
>
> a.  The pottery barn theory of foreign affairs--we'd be
> blamed for making things worse.

And if we do nothing, we are also blamed for making things
worse:  Observe, for example

1.  the French assist the Hutus to commit genocide against the
Tutsis.  Capitalism and America get blamed.

2. The Indonesians massacre infidels.  Capitalism, Americans
and America get blamed.

3.  Saddam massacres his people.  The CIA, Americans and
America get blamed.

4.  Syria invades Lebanon.  America and Israel get blamed.

5.  Africans massacre each other in the Congo.  America gets
blamed.  (Oddly, for once, the CIA, capitalism, and Jews, are
not involved.)

>  (I don't know how much this matters long term, but it would
>  certainly have made life pretty hard on Tony Blair and the
>  rest of the world leaders who actually supported us.)

The dogs bark and the caravan moves on.

> b.  We would one day like their oil back on the market.

They would like that also.  Fortunately all the oil is Kurds,
or Shiites - the first areas to be secured once the civil war
burns down a bit.

> c.  We would like to make sure that the next regime to come
> to power there isn't someone we also feel obligated to get
> rid of, as even invasions done on the cheap cost a lot of
> money.

But it is easy and cheap to remove people.  It is installing
people that is hard, bloody, and expensive.

If the dice turn out badly, just roll them again.

Nobody teaches soldiers nation building in basic training. They
do however, teach them nation smashing.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     cE8rYUZGiDSDZk4yFeEBDqa3go99WSWJnoTURH4R
     4L1KruhmMXw4gVFrzipYHod+HL0bAKAEvFpvwCdUV