SASSER Worm Dude

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed May 12 10:38:43 PDT 2004

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 02:31:18PM -0400, Tyler Durden wrote:

> So a HS kid, living with his parents, is able to write a worm that takes
> out millions and millions of computers throughout the world running the
>  latest MS OS. Uh....shouldn't we arrest Bill Gates first?

The decision is rational, because people are irrational, ignorant, and hence
populistic gestures have a large payoff (and some deterrence to boot).
Establishing liability for generic software is unprecedented, will take huge
resources, time, and has low probability to succeed.

So let's lock up the kid, and his buds. The professionals will thank you,
too,
for it keeps them out of the limelight due to the distraction, and increases
the
vulnerability exploitability shelf life.