The Gilmore Dimissal

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Tue Mar 30 15:01:57 PST 2004

> I was curious about that.  I notice now that Amtrak requires ID as well:
> http://www.amtrak.com/idrequire.html
>
> Does anyone know when this happened, or have experiences with having to
> show ID on Amtrak?

Sometime before early January this year, at least (probably significantly
before). However, from DC Union Station (and probably many other stations),
you
can use the automated ticket system which 'only' asks for a credit card, no
govt ID needed. And all the conductors care about is if you have a
ticket. Philadelphia's automated system doesn't accept my credit card for
mysterious reasons, so I have had to present ID when buying a ticket there.

I haven't observed them doing any sort of scanning on my ID when I show it;
anyway my ID doesn't have a magnetic stripe like the ones issued by most
states
around here, just an optical code. They copy down the name at least (shows up
on the ticket), but it's hard to get a good look at their hands as they type,
so it's possible they also grab the state/license # pair, which ties back to
who-knows-what databases.

-Jack