For Liars and Loafers, Cellphones Offer an Alibi

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Sat Jun 26 22:51:38 PDT 2004

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004, Major Variola (ret) wrote:

> >> Go for the head shot, they're wearing body armor
> >
> >If at close range, it is far easier to simply throw water at them prior
> >firing.  For one, the water acts as apowerful lubricant, effectively
> >removing the armor,
>
> huh?  Wet kevlar is still strong, no?

Strong, yes, but it does not react the same way.  I have had an
opportunity to acquire body armor and receive "formal instruction" in
proper use, yada yada, and it was repeated over and over again that in
order to provide a reliable barrier to high speed projectiles, it had to
be kept *dry*.  The instructor went as far as making the "half joking"
recommendation that approaches to persons with obvious liquids (coffe
cups, soda cans, etc.)  should be considered potentially lethal.  We were
repeatedly warned that searches and questionings of persons "armed with
fluids" should be delayed until such time as the potential lubricants were
properly neutralized.

The lubricant effect is what makes teflon tipped hydrashocks so effective
in spite of big heavy kevlar armor - water may not be as good as teflon,
but I am not willing to bet my life on it.

As to raw strength, what makes Kevlar so good is that it will stretch.  It
is relatively useless against sharp objects such as knives which do not
present a wide surface.

--
Yours,

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin at mfn.org

  "...justice is a duty towards those whom you love and those whom you do
  not.  And people's rights will not be harmed if the opponent speaks out
  about them."

  Osama Bin Laden