For Liars and Loafers, Cellphones Offer an Alibi

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Sat Jun 26 22:32:31 PDT 2004

At 12:01 AM 6/27/04 -0500, J.A. Terranson wrote:
>Interestingly, some [early] models had external antenna jacks built in
>them.

Again I am a few Moore's generations behind.  (Does that make me a
semi-Amish atheist?
Or a reformed Luddite?) Where I vacation sometimes, I would
need a metallized umbrella (or better) and tripod to find a cell
basestation.
And that rules out valleys leaving ridges, although a few hundred feet
of
RF cable isn't so expensive.

I am aware of the need for non-fixed antennae for 802.11blah fun; I did
not
realize that modern cells don't have RF connectors.  I have also heard
of folks war-flying with a simple (tilted) dipole thus pointing part of
the donut-shaped receptive region (orthogonal to the dipole) at the
ground.

>> Go for the head shot, they're wearing body armor
>
>If at close range, it is far easier to simply throw water at them prior
>firing.  For one, the water acts as apowerful lubricant, effectively
>removing the armor,

huh?  Wet kevlar is still strong, no?

>and for two, it distracts the hell out of them ;-)

The fundamental problem is the head is more agile than the C.G.  However
if you
don't hit a seam, or aren't using something better than a handgun,
only a rapid bit of ballistic neurosurgery will disable the target.

Best to have enabled the claymores when your cameras notice a change.

And as Mr. Burns says, to let the hounds loose.

--------

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they
should
have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence

from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own
government.

--George Washington