crypto on *really* cheap hardware

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jun 16 06:19:30 PDT 2004

>I presume most people have by now read Cringely's piece on hacked Linux for
>Linksys WRT54G (and clones):
>
>[...]
>
>It does VoIP, prioritizes traffic, has currently VPN pass-through and will do
>IPsec on future mesh-supporting firmware.

You forgot to mention "sometimes it'll stay up for as long as several hours
before crashing/locking up".  I guess this is a security feature, if someone
breaks in they'll only be able to use it for a short time before it locks up
or crashes.

Peter (who doesn't own one, but has heard horror stories from owners).