crypto on *really* cheap hardware

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Jun 15 11:35:55 PDT 2004

I presume most people have by now read Cringely's piece on hacked Linux for
Linksys WRT54G (and clones):

That thing is $70-80, and comes as a 200 MHz MIPS box with 32 MByte RAM,
and some 4-8 MByte flash. Stock antennas are crappy, but radios are very
good,
so long-range suitable with appropriate antennas. Current sveasoft firmware

	http://www.sveasoft.com/modules/phpBB2/index.php

(it's open source, though bleeding edge firmware only available for $20/year
subscription). You can build the image yourself on a Linux box with the right
build environment (I haven't due to lack of time).

It does VoIP, prioritizes traffic, has currently VPN
pass-through and will do IPsec on future mesh-supporting firmware.

I'm sure resident people can see plenty of intersting uses, and useful
hacking projects.