Email tapping by ISPs, forwarder addresses, and crypto proxies

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 21 07:09:07 PDT 2004

Variola wrote...

Dark fiber.

"Dark Fiber" ain't a talisman you merely wave at data to get it to magically
move to where you want it to.You've got to LIGHT that fiber, and to light
that fiber you need LOTS and LOTS of power-hungry, space-occupying
equipment. In other words, you'd need to duplicate a significant fraction of
the current public transport network. And that can't be done in one
location, you'd need this shadow network to have either it's own COs all
over the country, or to have significant POPs in practically every CO in the
country. And I can tell you unequivocally that neither are the case.

What this points to is CALEA + Grooming + Massive Optical Transport for
offline sifting in a few centralized locations. And I strongly suspect that
the recent GIG-BE contract is precisely the massive optical part.

What I get from what you've pointed out, however, is that processing power
isn't the limitation any longer. If they COULD get it ALL, then they
probably would. So perhaps that's just a matter of time (ULH systems can
move lots of traffic very long distances these days, with only the
occasional optical amplifier.)

-TD