School of the future

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 3 13:19:25 PST 2004

Tim May wrote...

"Put a partition down the middle of a school building. One side is "Blue,"
the other side is "Red." "

Shit. This sounds a lot like my "school of the future" idea.

Basically, in the inner cities the armories are converted into "schools",
with a giant partition in the middle. On one side are self-learning stations
and a small number of instructors. Kids can choose to go to this side of the
partition whenever they want, or never. (BUT school is mandatory from 12 to
22, and big Soylent Green-type scoops scoop up the students every morning
and dump them into the school.)

The other side of the partition is basically a giant gymnasium. Guards with
watercannon are stationed in the balcony to break up fights.

At graduation, there's a trap door on the gymnasium side, that opens onto a
slide leading directly to Rikers.

In the extended version, the "schools" are located out in a gulag, and
students live there from ages 10 to 24. There are two jobs in the schools,
one is breaking rocks, which are imported from other schools, the other is
making rocks in concrete molds, which are exported.

Classrooms consist of a teacher behind a plexiglass wall, giving lessons
over a loudspeaker that's cranked far higher than any kid could scream or
yell. Thus, classroom noise is basically eliminated as a practical concern
(the teacher might also have access to watercannon behind the plexiglass
wall).

As for teachers, the source is clear: those that fail to graduate must teach
for a period of 10 to 15 years.

-TD