So many statists...uh, who gives a crap?

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 3 18:04:36 PST 2004

Tim May wrote...

"I assume they figured that since they were using PGP to communicate with
their fellow anti-capitalists, that crypto must be cool"

Here's the question Tyler Durden has for you.

Which is more important...annhiliation of the state, or getting a bunch of
list subscribers to agree that annhiation of the state is a good thing?

You yourself have claimed to be something of a "techno determinist". In
other words, you've made a good case that Strong crypto will eventually lead
to collapse of the state...people's BELIEF about the implications of strong
crypto are largely irrelevant.

"Eurotrash", "New York Collectivists" and so on should be given nice, big
fat pat on the backs, so long as this will encourage proliferation of strong
crypto. Who gives a crap what people BELIEVE?

In fact, I'd argue that, if your beliefs prove to be correct, then "making
people see the implications of strong crypto" is ultimately probably a bad
thing...not everyone wants to wreck the state. Some people WANT to be able
to boss others around (or at least want someone else to be doing this).
Hell, probably most human beings in 2003 are in this category.

-TD

Me? I like the Protestant reformation analogy: I'm not convinced strong
crypto will necessarily lead to destruction of the state, just like the
reformation didn't lead to destruction of the Catholic church. However, in
the long run, whatever emerges has got to be better than what we've got
today.