GPS Goes to Court

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Tue Feb 24 22:56:43 PST 2004

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 03:04:19PM -0800, John Young wrote:
> So when does illegal-GPS-bit Jim Bell get out of the pokey
> and a public apology from the DEA (who planted it), IRS (who
> asked for it), Treasury (who wanted to nail a tax-dissident)

Whatever the merits of Jim Bell's arguments, it does appear that the
Feds who snooped on him had (sadly, not-difficult-to-obtain) court
authorization.  So I don't see how this ruling would make a
difference, even if it had happened before Bell's self-immolation on
the stand and subsequent conviction. --Declan