"Word" Of the Subgenius...

Steve Thompson steve49152 at yahoo.ca
Mon Dec 6 12:34:18 PST 2004

 --- Steve Thompson <steve49152 at yahoo.ca> wrote:
>  --- Tyler Durden <camera_lumina at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > >Bonus question:
> > >
> > >Who is the author of the origin question that inspired the copycats?
>
> > Well, I remember May posting it but I don't think he was the ultimate
> > author. I suspect whoever posted it recently in fact dug it out of the
>
> > archives and re-posted it, a particularly lame maneuver if so.
>
> Wrong.  The origin quote is "Who is Socrates, now that we need him"
> written by Richard Mitchell as the title of chapter one in "The Gift of
> Fire".  Mitchell may have cribbed the line from another source, but in
> this context it is the origin quote.  Ms. Harsh is in posession of the
> original physical vector, having stolen it, but only the spooks will be
> unofficially aware of that facet of the context.

On further reflection, I think it is necessary to go out on a limb and
suggest a correction to my comment above.

I "verified" the original quotation from a quick google search.  That was
probably not enough.  My recollection suggests that the original quote
should be "where is Socrates now that we need him".  I rather suspect that
the people who 0wn the upstream pipe from my points of access are toying
with their ability to interpose their data in place of quasi-authoritative
texts.  I cannot consult the physical document owing to the fact that its
rarity is such that there are no copies available at either the Metro
Central Reference Library, and I have no access to the stacks at the
University of Toronto Robarts library.  Someone who does may consult the
book themselves with its call number:  B72 .M55 1987.

Further, Ms. Harsh may be said to posess the probable physical vector.  I
cannot say what level of participation she has had in this travesty owing
to the fact that after she perjured herself in court in 2001, she has
entirely avoided using her actual identity online.  However, she could
answer the question with her copy of the book in principle if there were
any way to compel her testimony.  It is possible that the quote is being
used as a source by online spooks by virtue of the text's presence in
their funky everything database.

Any way you look at it, the phrase "tax money well spent" would seem to
apply here.

Regards,

Steve