"Word" Of the Subgenius...

Steve Thompson steve49152 at yahoo.ca
Mon Dec 6 08:39:11 PST 2004

 --- Tyler Durden <camera_lumina at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Bonus question:
> >
> >Who is the author of the origin question that inspired the copycats?

> Well, I remember May posting it but I don't think he was the ultimate
> author. I suspect whoever posted it recently in fact dug it out of the
> archives and re-posted it, a particularly lame maneuver if so.

Wrong.  The origin quote is "Who is Socrates, now that we need him"
written by Richard Mitchell as the title of chapter one in "The Gift of
Fire".  Mitchell may have cribbed the line from another source, but in
this context it is the origin quote.  Ms. Harsh is in posession of the
original physical vector, having stolen it, but only the spooks will be
unofficially aware of that facet of the context.

Any non-spook readers (if any) can identify the copycats as spooks by
virtue of their use of mutations from the original.  The source is rare
enough that it is highly unlikely that anyone outside of English academia
would happen to bring it up of his own accord in 'casual' conversation.
Google is, indeed, your friend in this matter.

> OR...perhaps ole' May is gettin' a little lonely out there!

I doubt it.  May has his gun collection for company.

Regards,

Steve