unintended consequences: Davis recall leads to US internal passports

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Wed Sep 10 17:14:10 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, September 10, 2003, at 02:02  PM, Major Variola (ret)
wrote:

> I've read that to enter a Fed building you need "ID".  I'm curious
> what happens if you haven't got it.  Adrian Lamo had his card.
> I'm currently ignoring the conscription notices I get from the
> local jury droids; if I *volunteer* someday (after reviewing
> fija.org) I'll be sure to be without ID.

Ironically, I was preparing myself for such an eventuality. I even
Googled for reports on "jury "i.d."" and similar variants. I found no
reports of legal hassles for people not having I.D. when called for for
grand or petit jury duty, or for otherwise being ordered to enter a
government building.

I was called for jury duty--admittedly a County of California building,
not a Federal Protectorate building. But I had a hunch they might ask
for "proof" that I was the person called, or not let me into the court
room without I.D., etc.

I was mentally preparing to leave my D.L. and wallet back in my car (or
even to take a bus for a few blocks, without license) and then tell the
guarddroids: "No, I don't have a Driver's License...I'm not in my car
right now, as you can see. My Driver's License is for when I'm
_driving_."

My plan was not to file a Gilmore-type lawsuit, just respond to any
demands for I.D. with a shrug. And then a departure, with the names of
the guarddroids noted so I could later tell the authorities that I am
not required to carry I.D. except when entering the U.S., driving a
vehicle, and a few other similar things.

My younger brother, who has been on various juries, told me they never
asked for any I.D.  (He's a registered Republican and has been called
several times in his adult life. I'm a registered Libertarian and have
not actually been called to serve since 1973, when I was still
registered Republican. I smell something fishy.)

In any case, I was in the last "group" (31 of 31) which had to phone
the courthouse to see if we were to be actually told to be present
physically. The last couple of groups got excused. So my 30-year record
of not serving on a jury has been upheld.

> NIB magnets are probably overkill, but it was the first and last
> useful swipe my license's magstrip will see...

By the way, in case others didn't hear about this, smart card readers
are apparently now considered "paraphernalia." Or at least grounds for
expensive lawsuits (until those filing suit are countersued
successfully).

It seems a couple of subscribers to a satellite t.v. service (who shall
remain nameless, as it is my provider and they probably Google for
mentions of their name) bought a smart card reader/writer. Big
Satellite Company sent them a lawsuit, claiming they were pirating Big
Satellite Co's smartcards. All without any proof, at least none
unveiled so far. The two guys said they are hobbyists and have
"legitimate" reasons to buy openly available smart card reader/writers.
(And they really don't have to say _what_ they are doing or planning to
do with the card readers. Unless the gadgets are actually declared
illegal, they are legal to own. And Big Sat Co has to have actual
evidence, not mere suspicion. Of course, they are free to cancel the
satellite service for these two guys.)

"Buy a smart card reader, go to jail."

--Tim May

"According to the FBI, there's a new wrinkle in prostitution: suburban
teenage girls are now selling their white asses at the mall to make
money to spend at the mall.
Now, you see, the joke here, of course, is on White America, which
always felt superior to blacks, and showed that with their feet, moving
out of urban areas. "White flight," they called it. Whites feared
blacks. They feared if they raised their kids around blacks, the blacks
would turn their daughters and prostitutes. And now, through the
miracle of MTV, damned if it didn't work out that way! "

--Bill Maher, "Real Time with Bill Maher," HBO, 15 August 2003