e voting (receipts, votebuying, brinworld)

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at civicnet.org
Wed Nov 26 09:26:20 PST 2003

> > All I want is a system which is not more easily screwed around with then
> > paper ballots.

I think it's called OCR.

Paper ballots, marked by the voter, not by software, then counted by
software:

- the ballot and the audit document are one and the same - no opportunity
for software to mess with the printed record

- option for a quick and dirty recount by feeding the ballots through a
different counting machine (maybe with different software, from a
different vendor)

- further option for a manual recount of the original ballots (which are
probably more legible than any machine-printed receipts)

Oh, and by the way, these are the only kind of electronic voting machines
approved, so far, in Mass.

Miles Fidelman

The Center for Civic Networking 	    PO Box 600618
Miles R. Fidelman, President &		    Newtonville, MA 02460-0006
Director, Municipal Telecommunications
Strategies Program			    617-558-3698 fax: 617-630-8946
mfidelman at civicnet.org	 		    http://civic.net/ccn.html

Information Infrastructure: Public Spaces for the 21st Century
Let's Start With: Internet Wall-Plugs Everywhere
Say It Often, Say It Loud: "I Want My Internet!"