e voting (receipts, votebuying, brinworld)

Neil Johnson njohnsn at njohnsn.com
Tue Nov 25 22:37:25 PST 2003

On Tuesday 25 November 2003 01:21 pm, Trei, Peter wrote:
[snip]
> All I want is a system which is not more easily screwed around with then
> paper ballots. Have some imagination - you could, for example, set things
> up so the voter, and only the voter, can see the screen and/or paper
> receipt while voting, but still make it impossible to use a camera without
> being detected.
>
> Peter

I was thinking of those boxes with viewing ports that you look into to get
your eyes tested when you renew your drivers license. You could have those
out in the open, that way you'd have the privacy (only turn the display on if
the viewing port is completely covered), but if you tried to use a camera it
would be pretty obvious (or you could design the lens of the port to make it
impossible to discern the ballot except with the human eye(s)).

Here in the sticks we just use the ole' number two pencil to fill in the oval.
Some fancy polling places run the ballot through a reader to verify that
there aren't any problems (missing ovals, multiple votes, etc.). They'll let
you have three tries  at it.

However, there doesn't seem to be anything to stop me from going back in a few
hours later and claiming to be someone else at a different address other than
the if the person has already voted or by relying on steel-trap memory of the
volunteer elderly ladies than man the poll (of course in  our small town that
can be pretty effective) :) .

-Neil

--
Neil Johnson