Underestimating long-term consequences of cryptoanarchy

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Sun May 18 19:48:37 PDT 2003

<Groan> not this tripe...again...

On Sun, 18 May 2003, Mike Rosing wrote:

> On Sat, 17 May 2003, John Kozubik wrote:
>
> > Allow me to suggest this article (or rather, a response to an article):
> >
> > http://www.edge.org/discourse/evolutionofculture.html
> >
> > to anyone wishing to read a contrarian position as relates to "memes" and
> > their various interpretations.

To answer the question as posed by Jaron Lanier as to how the various
sorts of music are the same expression, easy.

People have a common brain morphology. Don't confuse means and ends.

> It should be easy to create a test for memes.

Meme's are their own test, as used in your context.

The bottom line, the theory of 'meme' is -nothing- more than the
expression of the human desire to simplify and reduce. To absurdity if
given the chance, ala Dawkin's selfish gene gibberish.

      We are all interested in the future for that is where you and I
      are going to spend the rest of our lives.

                              Criswell, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

      ravage at ssz.com                            jchoate at open-forge.org
      www.ssz.com                               www.open-forge.org