Underestimating long-term consequences of cryptoanarchy

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Sat May 17 20:13:24 PDT 2003

On Saturday, May 17, 2003, at 06:40  PM, Roy M.Silvernail wrote:

> On Saturday 17 May 2003 11:47 am, Tim May wrote:
>
>> The general theme is purpose "the purpose of life." The purpose of any
>> lifeform, or at least the outcome after competition and selection, is
>> furtherance of life. Whether genotype or phenotype, whether actual
>> instance of a lifeform or the DNA.
>>
>> The purpose of a U.S. politician is to be reelected. Nothing else
>> matters. So the politician will say anything he has to say to be
>> reelected. And he will spend money that is not his own to be
>> reelected.
>
> I'm sure Tim has read this, but maybe some people havent.
>
> http://generalsystemantics.com/Systemantics.htm
>
> The Postal Service is alive, too.  All systems are.

I read Korzybski ("general semantics--the map is not the territory")
around 1970. General systems theory, a la Bertanlanffy, I only read
enough of to say "So?"

General semantics and general systems theory are not very profound.

Much more interesting to me today is epistemic logic in particular, and
modal logic in general, and topos theory even more abstractly. However,
these areas are a bit too abstract for most of the popularizations.

(Such as they are today, where people don't read. I thought things were
pretty bad when "Analog" and "Scientific American" were the sources,
now I find that SciAm is a thin, glossy, no content advertisement rag
and "Analog" is virtually unread. But Eminem be saying "Keep da faith,
baby!")

--Tim May
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." --Robert A.
Heinlein