changes at lne.com

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Mon May 12 19:13:22 PDT 2003

On Mon, 12 May 2003, Eric Murray wrote:

> The spam load at lne.com is WAY too high.

:) All the bozo's subscribing the list don't help either...

> Last month for example there was an average of 96 spams per day submitted
> to cypherpunks at lne.com.   "submitted" means that it was the first
> time we saw that particular mail.  Since the CDR system sends everything
> to all nodes, that means we got and passed on about 4x that number.
> 800 spams a day is a waste.
>
> So I have changed the way we deal with CDR mail.  We will no longer pass
> to other CDRs mail that we would not send to subscribers.  Eliminating
> outbound spam will cut our cypherpunks spam load in half.
> I am also going to filter the non-subscriber mail more effectively.

Does this mean inbound to lne.com or to the backbone? It seems unclear.
In other words you will filter inbound mail that isn't a subscriber to
your node list? How will this be applied to mail on the backbone from
other nodes?

> Lately I have had to check about 50 spams a day to see if they are
> actually posts to the list.  I find one real post every two or three days.

???? Man, you're dropping a lot of real traffic then. I'd say that I go
through a couple hundred a day and there are about 15-20 posts a day. Of
course there are days when there are almost zero non-spam mail.

> Now I will save for human processing only the non-subscriber mail that is
> PGP signed or encrypted, or that looks like a reply.

So, if it's not PGP signed (ie has the appropriate ASCII string in it) and
it comes from somebody who isn't on your subscriber list then it's headed
for the bit bucket?

> The majority of non-subscriber mails I've forwarded to the list
> have been replies.  (I'll save everything for a while to make
> sure my filtering works).

So this means no anonymous email through lne.com then? Pity.

> As always, other CDR operators and anyone else interested
> in running a CDR are welcome to my scripts.

I"m still not clear on how you're going to filter the backbone traffic.

I'd certainly like to put them on the SSZ CDR page for reference.

I'll move lne.com from 'non-moderated' to 'moderated' then?

Thanks for the explanation and heads up.

      We are all interested in the future for that is where you and I
      are going to spend the rest of our lives.

                              Criswell, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

      ravage at ssz.com                            jchoate at open-forge.org
      www.ssz.com                               www.open-forge.org