Underestimating long-term consequences of cryptoanarchy

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Wed May 7 18:44:36 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, May 7, 2003, at 01:01  PM, Bill Frantz wrote:

> At 7:05 AM -0700 5/6/03, Kevin S. Van Horn wrote:
>> Tyler Durden wrote:
>>
>>> Likewise with governments. I still need my trash taken out, and for
>>> potholes to be fixed.
>>

>> What makes you think government is needed at all for these?  My trash
>> is
>> taken out by a private company, not by any government.  And privately
>> built and maintained roads have existed for a very long time.
>
> 120-130 years ago, there was a privately owned toll road between Los
> Gatos
> and Santa Cruz.  Now there is a publicly owned road, with no toll, and
> haven't heard much call to go back to the old days.  Why are the vast
> majority of people happy with the current situation?  Some ideas:

Why would anyone waste time arguing for something which absolutely
could not happen in today's world?

I'm serious. People spend time on things they think could be changed.
This is why there is "not much call."

There is also "not much call" to bring back indentured servitude, even
though the arguments for it are compelling. It won't happen, period,
short of some Mad Max meltdown, so arguing for it is a waste of neurons
and chronons.

--Tim May