Underestimating long-term consequences of cryptoanarchy

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Fri May 9 00:04:53 PDT 2003

At 6:44 PM -0700 5/7/03, Tim May wrote:
>On Wednesday, May 7, 2003, at 01:01  PM, Bill Frantz wrote:
>> 120-130 years ago, there was a privately owned toll road between Los
>> Gatos
>> and Santa Cruz.  Now there is a publicly owned road, with no toll, and
>> haven't heard much call to go back to the old days.  Why are the vast
>> majority of people happy with the current situation?  Some ideas:
>
>Why would anyone waste time arguing for something which absolutely
>could not happen in today's world?
>
>I'm serious. People spend time on things they think could be changed.
>This is why there is "not much call."

There have been some proposals to build privately owned toll roads in
California.  One proposal was from the San Francisco Bay area to
Sacramento.  As far as I know, that one died from lack of interest.  I
think there was also one in the LA area, but I know less about it.  The
idea is a private toll road would have less traffic, and be faster.

In fairness, these proposals are "government-private partnerships", and not
true private roads.  The government provides the eminent domain, and the
private provides some of the capital.

I never heard a large amount of enthusiasm for these proposals.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz           | Due process for all    | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506         | used to be the         | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz at pwpconsult.com | American way.          | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA