Hippies Banning Smoke

jburnes jburnes at vonu.net
Fri May 2 10:25:43 PDT 2003

On Friday, May 2, 2003, at 11:03 AM, Harmon Seaver wrote:

> On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 11:21:05AM -0400, Sunder wrote:
>> What part of "Don't impose your ideals on others" do you not
>> understand?
>
>    What part of "Don't impose your drug addiction on others" do you not
> understand? Tobacco junkies are worse than crackheads, especially
> concerning
> their irrational behavior.

Actually it may be quite rational.  A certain percentage of the
population may
be self-medicating for type 2 ADD (nicotine fills in for acetylcholine
that they
lack).  Some others use tobacco to focus and tune out the really high
levels
of environmental noise and distraction that are part and parcel of
modern society.

Some others may do it just because they like it.  Man, cypherpunks has
really
gone down quite a ways when members are advocating who should be allowed
to consume what and when. Next it will be laws to stop people from
blowing their
noses in restaurants.  I say let people go to hell in their own way.
Cigarettes or
Jack Black or cocaine.

But this is typical in the overly 'politically correct' society.  The
one thing that
really amazed me when I moved to Colorado is the number of middle aged
hippie types that 30 years ago were blasting the establishment for
controlling
what they wanted to smoke have now *become* the establishment.   A
professor
friend of mine was smoking some Drum and shooting the bull with me in
Pearl Street
Mall (in Boulder).  Some new ager comes by and reprimands him for
generating smoke.
He wasn't even a middle-aged hippie.  The middle-aged hippie types are
now
running the city council, living in $500,000 homes and laying down nazi
laws
for the rest.

Hypocrites. Animal Farm come true.  Sometimes I really wish for the
70's. Cheesy
clothes and Jimmy Carter were small threats to world order.

jim burnes