Why are there so many statists and communists here on this list now?

Matt Beland matt at rearviewmirror.org
Fri May 2 11:18:22 PDT 2003

On Friday 02 May 2003 09:42 am, Tim May wrote:
> In looking over the traffic of the past weeks, I am struck by how many
> of the posts are defending statism and state action. Mostly by
> Europeans, coincidentally or not.
>
> Did some mention of our list in the Journal of Social Action cause you
> to subscribe?
>
> Why are you here?

Here's a better question, Tim.

Why are you upset about it?

I mean, there are two possibilities. Either this mailing list is for useful
discussion, or it's not.

If it *is*, then you should *welcome* the statists, the communists, the
apologists, the Klansmen, feminists, nazis, Libertarians of any sort,
Democrats, Greens, Republicans... anyone with the intelligence to write a
coherent statement. (One could even argue against *that* limitation, but I
won't.) Certainly, you have your views, and you should be expressing them,
and you should encourage and support others who agree with you. But if this
list is to be in any way useful, then you have to actually do this where
people who *disagree* can read it. Preaching to the choir makes you feel warm
and fuzzy, perhaps, and it makes for a smooth sermon, but it doesn't do a
whole lot of good.

Besides - what's the fucking point of supporting freedom of speech if you keep
telling people to shut up? You're dangerously close to sounding like those
cranks who claim they're being patriotic by attacking the Dixie Chicks for
their speech.

If it's not for useful discussion, just let us know. We'll all leave, and you
can continue spreading the good word to precisely nobody.

One of the worst things about this wonderful invention we call the Internet is
that so many people choose to listen only to those they already agree with.

--
Matt Beland
matt at rearviewmirror.org
http://www.rearviewmirror.org