Cheese-eating surrender monkeys

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Fri May 2 09:23:56 PDT 2003

On Friday, May 2, 2003, at 07:50  AM, Trei, Peter wrote:

>> Tim May[SMTP:timcmay at got.net] wrote:
>>
>> The right-wing columnist Jonathan Goldberg dubbed them "cheese-eating
>> surrender monkeys" several years ago, long before this latest matter.
>> Has a great cadence, and it's accurate.
>>
> No one expects the Pedantry Police!
>
> Goldberg used the phrase in a 1999 column, but he did not invent it.
>
> It's from a actually from a 1995 Simpsons episode, "Round Springfield"
> (production number 2F32) Here's the quote in context:
>
> [I agree with most of the post, but couldn't let this misquote stand]
> Peter Trei

Yes, now that you remind me, I remember this. And I think Goldberg
acknowledged his source in an interview I saw with him just before the
war started.

Likewise, my quotes below come from Blair and Bush, respectively.

--Tim May

"We are at war with Oceania. We have always been at war with Oceania."
"We are at war with Eurasia. We have always been at war with Eurasia."
"We are at war with Iraq. We have always been at war with Iraq.
"We are at war with France. We have always been at war with France."