Cheese-eating surrender monkeys

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Fri May 2 07:50:47 PDT 2003

> Tim May[SMTP:timcmay at got.net] wrote:
>
> The right-wing columnist Jonathan Goldberg dubbed them "cheese-eating
> surrender monkeys" several years ago, long before this latest matter.
> Has a great cadence, and it's accurate.

No one expects the Pedantry Police!

Goldberg used the phrase in a 1999 column, but he did not invent it.

It's from a actually from a 1995 Simpsons episode, "Round Springfield"
(production number 2F32) Here's the quote in context:
----------------------
	[A little later, Bart puts his hand up].
Bart: 	Mrs. Krabappel, I'm done failing the test. Can I _please_ go to the
nurse?
Edna: 	Gosh, Bart, maybe you really are in pain.
	Well...it would be cruel not to let you go.
	[files her nails, hums the national anthem]
	[hums part of "Stars and Stripes Forever"]
	Heh heh heh, _now_ you may go.
Bart: 	[walking into nurse's room] Lunch Lady Doris? Why are you here?
Doris: 	Budget cuts. They've even got Groundskeeper Willy teaching French.
Willy: 	"Bonjourrr", you cheese-eating surrender monkeys!
First broadcast: April 30, 1995
More info than you wanted to know:
http://www.snpp.com/episodes/2F32.html

[I agree with most of the post, but couldn't let this misquote stand]
Peter Trei