[Brinworld] Car's data recorder convicts driver

Thomas Shaddack shaddack at ns.arachne.cz
Wed Jun 18 14:11:30 PDT 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Tim May wrote:
> Unlikely. Getting juice into the innards of a box in a way so as to
> overwrite data is not nearly so simply as applying sparky things to the
> outside of the box. Lots of reasons for this.

The idea wasn't about overwriting the data. The idea was about frying the
chip with the data inside (and if all the other chips inside the box
become a collateral damage, let's that be so). As long as it is outside
the technological abilities of the given adversary to retrieve the data
from the fried chip, the objective is reached.

The idea also wasn't about the outside of the box, I thought rather
disconnecting the power leads and blasting the spark into the power-GND
pair, or into the (disconnected, we don't want to kill the entire car
electronics) data bus. With a bit of luck, the spark could get through the
filters and into the Vcc pins of the chips.