[Brinworld] Car's data recorder convicts driver

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Tue Jun 17 21:30:35 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 03:48  PM, Thomas Shaddack wrote:

>> Adam
>>
>> PS: Bob Blakely once defined privacy as the right to lie and get away
>> with it, which fits into some of what many people mean by privacy.
>
> Another possible definition is the right to tell the truth and get away
> with it.
>
> But both definitions are rather about free speech than about privacy,
> but
> then we'd get to a fight over definitions which is in this context
> better
> to leave on the shoulders of people making encyclopedias.

Maybe I have a minor corollary to Somebody's Law: "All debates about
privacy eventually degenerate into foolish and off-target debates about
the meaning of truth."

It never makes sense to argue about a "right to lie" or a "right to
tell the truth." One man's lie is another man's truth. And even
_asking_ for a true response is usually an overstepping, as it presumes
the asker knows what is true and what is not. Pilate said it all 2000
years ago.

--Tim May