bbc

Jim Dixon jdd at dixons.org
Wed Jun 18 07:01:01 PDT 2003

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Harmon Seaver wrote:

>    Did the IRA bomb the BBC newserver or something? They've been down for two
> days now.

There has certainly been no interruption in service in the UK; I look
at it daily.

However, news.bbc.co.uk is not one machine.  The BBC has at least two
clusters of servers, one at Telehouse in London and the other in
Telehouse America in New York.  When I was providing services to the
BBC (up until about 18 months ago), these server farms were connected
by a private circuit, enabling the NY site to mirror the UK site.
Custom DNS software looked at where you were (by IP address) and then
gave you an IP address in either London or New York, depending on
whether you connected through the London Internet exchange.

What's most likely is that someone along the way has tried to be clever
with caching/proxying and in effect has broken your connection.

--
Jim Dixon  jdd at dixons.org   tel +44 117 982 0786  mobile +44 797 373 7881