bbc

Harmon Seaver hseaver at cybershamanix.com
Wed Jun 18 06:46:35 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 03:01:01PM +0100, Jim Dixon wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Harmon Seaver wrote:
>
> >    Did the IRA bomb the BBC newserver or something? They've been down for two
> > days now.
>
> There has certainly been no interruption in service in the UK; I look
> at it daily.
>
> However, news.bbc.co.uk is not one machine.  The BBC has at least two
> clusters of servers, one at Telehouse in London and the other in
> Telehouse America in New York.  When I was providing services to the
> BBC (up until about 18 months ago), these server farms were connected
> by a private circuit, enabling the NY site to mirror the UK site.
> Custom DNS software looked at where you were (by IP address) and then
> gave you an IP address in either London or New York, depending on
> whether you connected through the London Internet exchange.
>
> What's most likely is that someone along the way has tried to be clever
> with caching/proxying and in effect has broken your connection.

   Must be something like that -- weird tho. I can get to news.bbc.co.uk just
fine, but the one I'd been using for a long, long time on a daily basis,
www.bbc.uk.com, just disappeared. Oh well. Makes me wonder tho, about who/what
the sites actually are that we go to -- maybe nothing is as it seems.

--
Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix