[Brinworld] Car's data recorder convicts driver

Adam Shostack adam at homeport.org
Mon Jun 16 15:19:07 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 05:11:57PM -0400, John Kelsey wrote:
| At 11:16 AM 6/16/03 -0500, Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
| >I personally find the privacy implications of EDRs rather unsettling.
| >This story doesn't change that one bit. However, in this particular
| >case, I don't think what the EDR said really matters. The three
| >paragraphs from the story say a lot about what happened here:

| It seems intuitively like the EDR ought to be about as valuable to the
| defense as the prosecution, right?  E.g., the prosecutor says "this guy was
| driving 120 miles an hour down the road while being pursued by the police,"
| but the EDR says he'd never topped 70.  There are creepy privacy
| implications in there somewhere, but the basic technology seems no more
| inherently Orwellian than, say, DNA testing--which seems to be a pretty
| good way of actually locking up the right guy now and then, rather than
| someone who looks kind-of like the guy who did it, and was seen in the area
| by an eyewitness and picked out of a police lineup.

Just wait 'till they integrate GPS, and GPRS or 802.11.  Much of this
can be seem in the OnStar systems, which haven't yet featured in
divorce proceedings, afaik.

You can call up and find out where your car is.

Adam

PS: Bob Blakely once defined privacy as the right to lie and get away
with it, which fits into some of what many people mean by privacy.

					               -Hume