Finding collision resistant hash functions

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Mon Jul 7 05:09:46 PDT 2003

At 02:19 AM 7/7/03 -0700, Sarad AV wrote:

or how are we supposed to
>find collision free hash functions?What exactly is the
>difficulty in finding collision free hash functions?

Because there are no collision *free* hash functions,
there will always be several domain elements that map to the
same range element.  Assuming more domain elements than
range elements, which is generally what people mean by hashing.

You're not asking the right question, you need more constraints
on the type of hash functions and their resistance to collisions.
You're probably looking for functions that make it hard to intentionally

find arguments that produce hashes identical to a given one.

There's an incredibly dry taxonomically-inclined downloadable text on
this somewhere
but the margin of my screen is too small to contain the url.  You'll
first
have to use language more precisely to get any use out of it.