The killer app for encryption

Steve Schear s.schear at comcast.net
Thu Dec 18 16:42:01 PST 2003

At 03:47 PM 12/18/2003, Major Variola (ret) wrote:
>At 08:16 PM 12/18/03 +0000, Jim Dixon wrote:
>
> >What exactly do you mean by "peered IP telephony"?

What I'd like to see is a P2P telephony that also supports end-user
gateways to the POTS.  I'm not certain, but I think there are some MS
certified modems which have a generalized A/D-D/A capability sufficient to
handle voice.  Although it opens up the possibility of end-user
eavesdropping some of this might be thwarted by randomizing user node
selection and detecting/reporting line impedance changes (indicating an
extension going off-hook) to the 'client' wising to use the POTS. I
suggested this idea to Jeff Pulver, now a VoIP champion, in 1999 but he
thought it was too out of the mainstream to be interesting.  Now that P2P
is beginning to branch out from file sharing maybe this is no longer a far
out idea.

steve