The killer app for encryption

Morlock Elloi morlockelloi at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 18 18:14:55 PST 2003

> What I'd like to see is a P2P telephony that also supports end-user
> gateways to the POTS.  I'm not certain, but I think there are some MS

I don't get what does this have to do with crypto.

Outside crypto, this didn't quite work with (almost) public fax gateways of
'90s. In theory, you could send e-mail that would be rasterized and faxed using
gateway that was in local calling area and presumably did not incur any charge
from the local POTS monopoly.

However, I don't see people letting others use their POTS lines, nor I see them
using their own for this purpose. Yes, this would essentially eliminate long
distance charges for those so equipped ... but if A and B have these gateways
and use them, what is the chance of them not being AT the gateway (ie. not
having laptops) at any given moment - why bother using POTS in the loop in the
first place ?

VoIP companies are already doing this and the cost is quite low (calling cards)
- why bother?

=====
end
(of original message)

Y-a*h*o-o (yes, they scan for this) spam follows: