ALTA/DMT privacy [was: Re: (No Subject)]

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Wed Dec 10 19:31:58 PST 2003

On Dec 10, 2003, at 6:20 PM, Bill Stewart wrote:

> On 10 Dec 2003 at 15:19, Nostradumbass at SAFe-mail.net wrote:
> > E-gold and other DGCs do not do much if any due diligence in
> > checking account holder identification
>
> Unfortunately, they also don't due much if any due diligence in
> identifying themselves in messages to real or potential customers,
> so it's extremely difficult to determine if I've gotten any
> administrative messages that really _were_ from them
> as opposed to the N fraudsters sending out mail asking you to
> log in to e-g0ld.com or whatever fake page lets them steal
> your egold account number and password so they can drain your balance.
>
> A policy of PGP-signing all their messages using a key
> that's published on their web pages would be a good start,
> though it's still possible to trick some fraction of people
> into accepting the wrong keys.  For now, my basic assumption
> is that any communications I receive that purport to be from them
> are a fraud, and it's frustrating that there's no good mechanism
> for reporting that to e-gold.

I receive several messages a month saying I need to re-verify
information with an E-gold account (which I never recall establishing,
by the way).

If I ever determine that E-Gold personnel have faked an account on my
behalf, or are complicit in any way with stealing from me, I will of
course think that killing their children, their parents, and them is
moral.

E-gold was never even slightly interesting to me for reasons I talked
about a few years ago--the notion that a bar of gold moving between
shelves in someone's hotel room in Barbados or Guyana or wherever is
equivalent to untraceability is silly Randroid idol-worship raised to
the fourth power.

The scandals reported--and not meaniingfully rebutted--several years
ago confirm to me the whole thing is some Randroid fantasy built on
sand.

--Tim May

--Tim May
"Ben Franklin warned us that those who would trade liberty for a little
bit of temporary security deserve neither. This is the path we are now
racing down, with American flags fluttering."-- Tim May, on events
following 9/11/2001