Responding to orders which include a secrecy requirement

Steve Schear s.schear at comcast.net
Sun Aug 31 11:32:49 PDT 2003

At 11:00 PM 8/29/2003 -0500, J.A. Terranson wrote:
>I was *stunned* at how many ISPs told them to fuck off (including, I am happy
>to say, the one I work at)..
>
>When a court order is present - that is a whole new ball game: nobody will
>refuse that.

Well maybe.  What if a US ISP is incorporated with all foreign residents
and no local employees (only trusted local contractors).  No one to serve
legal notice upon.  ISP is housed in a standalone building which is owned
outright (no landlord to serve).  Site is monitored 24/7 via Internet and
satellite links with remote controlled self-destruct devices (which to be
effective must be capable of destroying the entire building).

steve

A foolish Constitutional inconsistency is the hobgoblin of freedom, adored
by judges and demagogue statesmen.
- Steve Schear