Responding to orders which include a secrecy requirement

Eric Murray ericm at lne.com
Sat Aug 30 06:10:14 PDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 06:54:03PM -0700, Tim May wrote:

> But when Big Brother commands that his Carnivore boxes be added, ISPs
> are afraid to shoot his agents who trespass.

> I think my solution may be best: take a few ISPs who have bent over for
> Big Brother and kill their owners and staff. A few ISP owners found
> necklaced and smoking may send a message to others.

The message it sends is to accept the cops offer of on-site "protection"
when the ISP is faced with allowing the tap or being put in jail.
By upping the stakes you force the business
owner to accept the cops as the lesser of two evils.

The mafia's actions tended to make business owners clamor for
more police and more intrusive police protection.   Not less.

This is a problem that's better solved with crypto.

Eric