Q on associative binary operation

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 28 12:36:29 PDT 2003

Yeah, kinda bizarre.

There's also an ambiguity that prevents one from saying Q is associative. Is
the table defined for both directions of *? In other words, is the table
meant to imply values for both x*y (ie, left*top) as well as y*x (top*left)?
For most objects x*y will not equal y*x (indeed, one may be undefined as in
the case of matrix multiplication). Anyone remember the group theoretic term
for these kinds of groups?

-TD