Inferno: Big Nous Day (fwd)

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Sat Aug 2 07:47:36 PDT 2003

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 11:39:42 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Inferno: Big Nous Day

If I hadn't accidentally looked at a newspaper stand late last night, and
noticed the headline that "Bush Takes Responsibility For Misleading
Information" I would probably not have known where to look today to find
anything out about it:
http://www.wane.com/Global/story.asp?S=1382287
http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=6620

Although it is a purely rhetorical admission, it is a significant one in
that it takes the wind from the sails of any notion of an independent
inquiry.  And as well, if you look at the front page of CNN, it has
already been removed from public consciousness to be replaced with the
much more pressing and incendiary notions of:

A new audiotape of Saddam's Greatest Hits:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/08/01/sprj.irq.main/index.html

The Vatican and W come out to bat:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/08/01/vatican.gay.marriages/index.html

and in a strange tautological twist, Condi takes personal responsibility
for Bush and Bush says Condi is an "honest, fabulous person":
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/07/31/rice/index.html

You see, because BushCo will have its cake and eat you too:
"I think the American people should be prepared for surprises," said David
Kay, a former U.N. weapons inspector who is leading the CIA's weapons
investigation. "I think it's very likely that we will discover remarkable
surprises in this enterprise."
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/07/31/wmd.search/index.html

And if that's not enough for you:
http://abcnews.go.com/wire/World/ap20030801_689.html
http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/news/20030801p2a00m0fp015000c.html

Now I remember why I care more about the nous than the news.