All trust is economics

John Kozubik john at kozubik.com
Mon Apr 28 21:35:36 PDT 2003

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, Tim May wrote:

> mathematicians have yet found cleverer ways. Great fame would await
> anyone who found a significantly faster method, even a Fields Medal,
> and yet no one has yet revealed one."

Great fame would also wait anyone who proved that a significantly faster
method _does not_ exist.  Not only is this conceivable, but it would move
this second scenario much further along your scale of trust towards "1".

I find that a lot of people (not necessarily anyone here) often forget
that this possibility still exists as a possible conclusion in public key
cryptography.

-----
John kozubik - john at kozubik.com - http://www.kozubik.com