double-spending prevention w. spent coins (Re: [Lucrative-L] lucrative accounts revisited)

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Thu Apr 24 14:27:36 PDT 2003

If the coins offer privacy, then unspent coins are unlinkable when the
same coin is deposited, so keeping just unspent coins doesn't work.

Spent coins on the other hand have their blinding removed, so you
notice double spending by looking at spent coins.

(There are zero-knowledge proofs of non-set membership as proposed for
use in ecash by Sander and Ta-Shma [1], but I think these are quite
computationally expensive.)

Adam

[1] "Auditable, Anonymous Electronic Cash", Tomas Sander, Amnon
Ta-Shma, Crypto 99

http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/sander98auditable.html