Kill MS, again, but sideways

Thomas Shaddack shaddack at ns.arachne.cz
Wed Apr 16 10:21:20 PDT 2003

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Major Variola (ret) wrote:
> Lawyers are merely implementing what the *legislators* let them.

Good note. But if we apply the "aiding and abetting" clause, they can be
summarily executed together, saving the manpower.

> Since lawyers decay into legislators, this would have beneficial
> prophylactic educational effects.

I like this idea. An ounce of prevention...

> No Thomas, a market will find better uses for them if your arguments
> have merit.  (Which they do, but it takes time.)

Do we have the time? In long term, everyone will end up dead. I have
problems and I have them *now*. :(

> It is, after all,
> the right of any individual (or group thereof) to keep secrets.
> (And Thomas, I wouldn't argue against that *here* :-)
> Or bind others with consensual contracts like NDAs.

Individuals, yes. For small subjects, cooperation is favorable mode of
operation, which counteracts the tendency to secretiveness.

Corporations, NO! Once these monsters get too big, they try to do every
dirty trick in the books and then some more to get and keep market share
and to raise the barriers to entry for the others as high as possible, and
to prevent everyone around to learn that their preciousss sssecretsss are
nothing more than poorly tested dirty hacks holding together with duct
tape and blobs of hot-melt glue. During last couple years, I developed
blind hate against them.

> Much as it is the right of anyone to diddle with anything they own,
> and talk about it freely.

If we'll get this, and a set of decent rev-eng tools, I will scale down my
demands for officially sanctioned access. (I don't care how I get the
data, if I get the vendor to fax me the docs or have to visit my local
blackmarket dealer, the important thing is that I have the specs.)

...and the definition of ownership as physical possession. No "licensing".

> The nice thing about jumpercables is the longer you use them,
> the lesser the ohmic resistance of the legislator, until you
> get charring, at which point you can move on to the next deserving
> most honorable sir.

...and then the Market will finally find some useful use for the
legislators. As a fertilizer.

> PS: TS you might at this point enjoy _A Xenix Chainsaw Massacre_

Beeeeeeautiful! Thanks :)