Metaswitch cleared by FBI for spying

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 11 09:04:53 PDT 2003

Interesting. I'll have to read that J-STD-025A.

-TD

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- MetaSwitch, supplier of the VP3500, the industry's first
true Next Generation Class 5 Switch, announced today that it has completed
an extensive review with the FBI, which demonstrates that the MetaSwitch
CALEA specification meets the J-STD-025A standard for circuit switching
equipment.

CALEA, the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act, requires that
U.S. carriers provide Law Enforcement Agencies (LEAs) with the continued
ability to perform electronic surveillance with existing and new
telecommunications switching equipment. Electronic surveillance consists of
either the interception of call content (commonly referred to as wiretaps)
and/or the interception of call-identifying information (commonly referred
to as dialed-number extraction).

"We simplified providing CALEA compliance for our customers by incorporating
CALEA functionality on-board the MetaSwitch VP3500 rather than requiring
additional external equipment", said John Lazar, Vice President of Sales and
Marketing. "We are ensuring the completeness of our solution with ongoing
testing with the FBI."

In light of the current uncertainty in world events, electronic surveillance
is becoming increasingly important as a tool for law enforcement agencies.
Therefore it is vital that vendors and telecommunications carriers develop
and deploy solutions that support electronic surveillance, in both
traditional TDM and next generation packet-based networks.

Technical requirements or standards for CALEA capabilities have been
established for several categories of telecommunications by industry
associations or standard-setting organizations, in consultation with
representatives of the law enforcement community. The Telecommunications
Industry Association (TIA) and Committee T1, standards organizations, are
currently working on a further revision, J-STD-025B to cover packet based
networks.

Metaswitch