Portland State of Siege.

Matthew X profrv at nex.net.au
Tue Sep 3 04:03:19 PDT 2002

This story had photos, see the link and the Portland indymedia site for a
more complete story.....
http://www.portland.indymedia.org
The police riot at last week's A22 Bush Protest outraged many people in
Portland and around the U.S. Mayor Vera Katz delivered her response on
Friday by subjecting Critical Mass riders to pepperspray and police
violence. With this choice, she has made it clear that she stands with
tyranny and against freedom. Katz's track record of affronts against civil
liberties includes the Joint Terrorism Task Force, the Sit-Lie-Stand
Ordinance, and the humiliation of Dignity Village. Her committed opposition
to basic human decency has never been more obvious. She is a disgrace to
the caring, progressive, justice-seeking people of this city and if she had
a shred of honor, she would step down. In my book, Katz is more dangerous
than Dubya; her brand of petty fascism is endorsed by the clueless liberals
of the Democratic Party, whose only difference with the Republicans is that
they kiss you before they fuck you over. It's time for you to resign, Vera,
and take that thug Police Chief Kroeker with you.
800+ riders showed up for this Friday's Critical Mass, the biggest of the
year so far. Just before arriving, we heard over the police scanner that
the cops were bringing vans and pepperspray. We figured that the city was
somehow planning "revenge" for the victory that the people of Portland
enjoyed on A22, which sent positive ripples out across the nation. And
while the city certainly tried to use the cops against us -- and certain
cops were brutally dedicated to the cause -- the Critical Mass was not
deterred

Link: http://portland.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=19316&group=webcast