Code red leads to Code blue in DC.

Matthew X profrv at nex.net.au
Tue Sep 3 04:01:32 PDT 2002

POLICE ABUSE ALLEGED IN THE ARREST OF A ROLLERBLADING POLITICAL ACTIVIST
Bandana protection from Code Red smog in D.C. becomes an excuse for a
brutal arrest and violation of rights
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- D.C. Statehood Green Party member and community
activist Chris Otten will represent himself in court on Thursday, September
5, when he faces charges after an incident in which D.C. police reportedly
violated his privacy and used needless force.
On July 25, Otten was rollerblading on U Street NW, wearing a bandana over
his nose and mouth due to Code Red smog. A sergeant of the Metropolitan
Police Department (MPD) approached Otten near the U Street Metro Station,
wielding his baton and demanding identification. Otten refused, citing
privacy rights, upon which police backup was summoned and Otten was tackled
to the ground by several MPD officers. He was arrested on the charges of
"failure to show identification" and "disorderly conduct," denied medical
attention for eight hours, and spent 20 hours in jail.
Otten called his arrest and brutal treatment typical of a larger assault on
American civil liberties. "Everyday citizens need to concern themselves
when the police show up to harass their fellow neighbors. I encourage all
people to read up on our rights and watch the police carefully when the
situation calls so to witness and testify against any police brutality that
may, and in D.C., most likely will occur."
"What happened to me is nothing new in DC," Otten added. "I met lots of
people during my experience in the D.C. criminal justice system who are
subjected to police abuse regularly -- to the point where this system has
become a culture, a way of life for many D.C. residents."
"As a candidate Ward One member of City Council, I am outraged that
[incumbent candidate] Jim Graham and his campaign staff would stand by idly
while a young man who was trying to protect himself from the smog found
himself attacked and abused by police," said Edward Chico Troy, noting that
the incident took place in Ward One. "The police should be held accountable
to standards of professional law enforcemet behavior. We should never allow
or condone the abuse of law-abidng citizens."
Chris Otten will appear in D.C. Superior Court, 500 Indiana Avenue NW,
courtroom 120 on September 5 at 9 a.m., after an 8 a.m. rally in his
defense in front of the courthouse. For periodic updates during the day,
call Mintwood Media at (202) 986-6186.
"We must take a stand against police abuse of power and the criminal
injustice system," said Otten. "This is especially true when U.S.
government cronies like John Ashcroft have pounced on people's true fears
stemming from 9-11 and he has used them to attack Americans' civil
liberties through the USA PATRIOT Act and the Homeland Defense Department,
both of which are reminiscent of McCarthy era policies from the 1950s."
MORE INFORMATION
The D.C. Statehood Green Party
http://www.dcstatehoodgreen.org
1314 18th Street, NW, lower level, Washington, DC 20036, 202-296-1301
- END -